Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Time Flies

Time flies.

Saturday we went to the funeral. Walter's wife Faye just never changes, she was one of the first people I saw. She was handling it very well I thought - but you know how people can hold it together for a while on the outside.

Then I saw Susie, my heart just skipped at seeing her almost collapse in my moms arms hugging her so tightly. It was hard to keep my composure when she came to hug me. I just can't imagine her pain.

It was nice to see some of Susie's family that I hadn't seen in a long time. When I was a child we spent a lot of time together and now we are all grown up.

The service was beautiful, heart easing which is what the family needed. The pastor was a long time friend of Walters and the family. The sincerity of his words were felt, he knows he will see Walter again in Heaven. The main point of his message was for us not to focus on just what we lost, but think what Walter has gained. A new healthy body free of pain and able to breathe with no assistance. He has sat down and talked with our Heavenly Father, he was greeted by loved ones that we all miss. Think about what we have gained by knowing him and Walter will always live on in each of us.

We went to their home after the service, intending to only stay a little bit and give them the food mom had cooked. I knew better :) Before everyone had even gotten there, Faye had fixed mom a plate of food and they sat and talked and talked. We were there until about 6 pm, it was nice.

Why do we let time fly by and only make the effort when something happens?

On the way home, mom and I talked about old times and mom asked if I thought Faye would move to Morganton to be close to Susie. I told her that would be wonderful for Susie and Faye, and mom said it would...and how it would be so great if her and Faye could be best friends again.

In the sadness of loss, sometimes it brings healing. You realize how fleeting time is, how people you love are worth more than things or words. Forgiveness comes - sometimes without speaking the words it just comes.

Susie and her family knew time was short for them and Walter. It doesn't make death easier really, but it affords you the time to talk and express love and in your own heart and soul say goodbye. We are not all granted that time. I think about my brother. He was there one night, gone the next morning. There was so much I would have liked to have said. He was 35, you just don't expect a 35 year old to be gone.

Don't miss a day to tell people you love how you feel. Don't let hurt feelings or anger fester and make your heart cold to someone. Talk to them, get it all out and let it heal. It is too late after they are gone. Sadly, I speak from experience.

James 4:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment